Saturday, September 15, 2012

New

Okay, so I'm going to try blogging. I'm a scientist, and hardly a writer; what I do write has always been considered "too passive," by any non-scientist. So is the fate of science writing. I hope this will be readable.

In all honesty I wish now that I had started this blog a year and a half ago, when I first bought Piper, and then maybe used it to update and keep track of her progress, but maybe I'll still do that. Or maybe I wish I'd started blogging when Blake died, because lord knows I wouldn't have before that.

To introduce myself a bit, I'm a 24-year-old graduate student living in Oklahoma. I am and always have been horse-crazy, and I'm constantly trying to learn more and better myself (in all areas of my life, but primarily with horses). Here I'd mention my other hobbies, but I don't have any. I follow several big horse blogs already, which has prompted me to start my own. I can only hope anyone will want to read this crap that I'll (maybe) remember to spew every once in a while when I feel like it.

I currently have two horses, though in my life I've owned three total. My horses now include one old-as-shit (he's 26? maybe? that's the vet's approximate) ranch broke palomino quarter horse named Bailey, who is now about 90% retired and has decided that manners don't matter anymore (yes, my fault, I know, I'm slightly embarrassed). But he's a useless horse who has a forever home with me. My other horse is Piper, my project. 12-year-old thoroughbred mare with a love of speed but also tries very hard to please mom. She's a joy, and came into my life when I needed her most. It's been a steep learning curve (on my end) to work with her, and I'm just lucky she'll cooperate.


No comments:

Post a Comment